Who Are The Best 10 UK VoIP Providers For Your Business?
To compete in today’s thriving business world, you know the importance of the perfect communication solution.
More specifically, the ideal VoIP business phone system that elevates and propels your business, while simultaneously saving you money.
Let me paint you a picture.
You want to switch to a new VoIP business phone system with all the necessary services, plus features that enhance the way you interact with your clients and employees. But with all the different VoIP providers offering such a wide range of products, you don’t know which to choose.
In this guide, you will find information about the Top 10 VoIP providers in the UK, the benefits of VoIP business phone systems, and what to look for when deciding to purchase.
In a rush? Jump straight to the top 10 VoIP Providers
Introduction to VoIP Business Phone Systems
Let’s quickly go over the basics of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone systems and how they work with your business.
In short, VoIP phone systems use Internet connections to transmit your voice signal, as opposed to traditional landlines. They do this at a lower overall cost, which makes them extremely attractive for competitive businesses.
Your voice signals are digitally encoded, transmitted through your broadband Internet connection, and then decoded at the receiver’s end where they can hear you.
Besides bringing a sense of professionalism to your business, VoIP phone systems offer additional features that improve internal communication, workflow, as well as customer experience.
This is vital for businesses that are looking to make a mark with a cost-effective communication solution.
And here’s the kicker.
VoIP phone systems offer business owners like yourself a high level of flexibility with interconnectivity when it comes to customising your solution.
They can accommodate employees who work remotely or those that are constantly on the move, while still maintaining clear channels of communication and the features of office phone systems, such as call recording and voicemail.
In general, VoIP phone systems can transfer all of their data, including the phone number, between devices. This means that you are no longer limited by the physical proximity of your office phone.
Benefits of VoIP
At this point, I’m sure you are wondering, “What can VoIP phone systems do for my business?”
Firstly, VoIP business phone systems are typically much lower cost than traditional landlines and PBX systems. You only need to pay a fixed monthly fee per user and aren’t limited by hidden costs such as long-distance calls or additional hardware purchases. Your VoIP provider normally handles everything for you, from set up to software maintenance, leaving you free to run your business more effectively.
And good news, VoIP phone systems won’t charge you extra for long-distance calls! You only have to pay for the data used, which compared to the cost of traditional long-distance calls, is much cheaper.
VoIP systems are also proven to be ideal for businesses with remote workers or that need a high degree of mobility. Besides being able to access your office phone from any device such as your mobile, laptop, or desktop, VoIP systems also offer additional features that make your life a whole lot easier.
For example, voicemails are instantly sent straight to your inbox, where you can easily access them and keep on top of the business.
As a result, you’ll improve relationships with your customers and suppliers who find that communication is an issue of the past!
Generally speaking, VoIP systems increase efficiency within your business by offering features that improve interconnectivity and collaboration such as multi-way calling, conferencing, and integration with applications such as Salesforce and Dropbox.
What does this all mean for you?
Your business presents a higher level of professionalism and accessibility to clients, as well as suppliers. You are also able to collaborate and communicate more effectively with your employees, giving your workflow more fluidity and flexibility.
Plus, the fact that VoIP is essentially a software means that setting up and running the system is incredibly smooth. You should be able to use your VoIP phone system instantly, and your provider can fix any software issues relatively quickly.
To use a VoIP business phone system, businesses typically purchase or lease VoIP-enabled phones such as IP or SIP phones.
Certain companies, such as those with remote employees, will use VoIP software instead of additional hardware. Skype is a common example of VoIP software.
But I’m guessing your business operates from a physical office location and therefore requires VoIP-enabled phones to streamline communication within your company and between customers.
In general, VoIP-enabled phones will have graphical LCD screens with advanced features that support video conferencing, programmable keys, and data encryption among other services.
The basic features that every VoIP software and phone have to include:
- Call routing
- Call recording
- Voicemail to email
- Toll-free options
- SMS messaging
- Video conferencing
- Custom hold and dial music
- Speed dial
- HD Voice
- Click-to-Call for customers to call you directly from your website
- Auto Attendant (virtual receptionist and directory)
Increasingly, VoIP phone systems offer Unified Communications or UC. This is a solution that integrates your communication channels onto a single platform, which makes it more manageable and gives you more control over everything. UC covers services such as instant messaging, voice telephony, video conferencing, and data sharing.
An interesting feature of some VoIP phone systems is call parking, an innovative solution to call holding and transferring. As opposed to putting an incoming call on hold, reaching out to the intended employee, getting back on the call and transferring it to that employee, call parking allows you to ‘park’ the call, get in touch with the intended employee, who then dials the ‘parked’ extension to speak directly with the caller.
All in all, call parking makes your communication a lot more efficient!
Another popular VoIP feature is hot desking. This is when all the data and features from a certain VoIP-enabled phone, is seamlessly transferred to another, including the telephone number, voicemails, and caller ID. What this means is you have more mobility to switch between phones depending on your convenience and needs.
These features will differ depending on your business needs as well as your provider. Before you purchase, make sure to check that your VoIP solution offers everything your business needs to run smoothly. There’s no point paying extra for features you don’t need, or missing out on ones that will benefit your business.
Types of VoIP Business Phone Systems
Before you move on to the top VoIP providers, you should familiarise yourself with the different types of VoIP business phone systems.
Who knows, you may be looking at the wrong one for your business!
Although the VoIP technology remains the same, their differences and suitabilities lies in the deliverance and hosting location of the VoIP system about your business.
In general, VoIP systems are cloud-based and offer simple, low fees, as well as a scalable service that grows with your business. They are a better option than traditional phone systems, especially if you are looking to improve communication and lower costs.
Software VoIP System
These are the simplest types of VoIP systems. They are a software application that is installed on your computer, such as Skype, and enables you to make voice and video calls through the application.
Software VoIP Systems are flexible and low-maintenance, as they can be used on any device that can support it.
This is a good option for freelancers and small companies with employees that work remotely.
Self-Hosted VoIP System
As I’m sure you’ve guessed, self-hosted VoIP systems give you the most control over your communication solution. You are in charge of administration, installation, setting up, as well as call delivery.
Although you have more independence to manage your communication, keep in mind that self-hosted VoIP systems also require you to have an able IT team to handle repairs and maintained properly.
On the upside, you won’t be subject to certain service fees that a provider typically charges, but you’ll need to make up for that with a capable IT team with the right skills and equipment.
Self-hosted VoIP systems are suitable for large companies that have the resources to handle the efforts involved in the upkeep of this type of phone system.
Hosted VoIP System
On the other end, hosted VoIP systems allow you to use the features of on-site VoIP phones and services, while your provider handles installation and call delivery by hosting your servers at a different location.
Your VoIP services are still delivered through an Internet connection; the system is simply hosted elsewhere as opposed to self-hosted VoIP systems where you host your servers on-site.
This means that your provider handles everything from software and hardware repairs, to general maintenance and upkeep.
Essentially, you have more time and freedom to focus on running your business. It’s not hard to see why hosted VoIP systems are such a popular choice for small-to-medium sized businesses!
Although hosted VoIP systems involve more costs than self-hosted VoIP systems, you’ll find that it ends up being an overall more cost-effective communication solution for your business because you don’t need to waste time and resources handling the upkeep and regulation of your phone system.
Right! Now that you have covered the essentials let’s move on to the good part and find out the top 10 VoIP providers in the UK.
Best 10 VoIP Providers
Not sure which VoIP providers to choose from?
Look no further, because below you will find all you need to know about the best VoIP providers in the UK.
- MiCloud Office, Mitel’s hosted VoIP solution, does not require any onsite equipment or hardware
- Advanced features and functions including HD voice, email-to-voice, video conferencing, CRM integration, and cloud scalability
- Easy-to-use, single communications platform for more efficiency
- Simple monthly payments with no unexpected fees
- Multiple options for deployment and services
Mitel is a globally-prominent telecommunications provider that also specialises in VoIP and Unified Communication solutions for small to large businesses. They provide the latest VoIP technology and give you a variety of advanced features for you to choose the right communication solution for your business.
Their cloud-based Unified Communications VoIP phone system is one of the most popular due to its ease of deployment, flexibility, and low cost. All of your communication is integrated into a single, easily accessible platform that streamlines your workflow.
However, a large number of online reviews warn potential businesses of reportedly slow and inefficient customer service. Therefore, their affordable prices and range of services seems to come at the price of providing the best support for their customers.
What are the benefits of Mitel VoIP for your business?
- Increase your interconnectivity and accessibility with your employees, customers, and suppliers
- Become more productive when Mitel VoIP enables you to communicate and collaborate better with your employees using business apps
- An efficient phone system allows you to focus on running your business
- Cloud technology allows you to manage and alter your communication network entirely online
- Mitel allows you to choose the ideal solution for your business, from public, private, or hybrid platforms
- Manage your entire RingCentral VoIP system from any of your smart devices
- Unlimited calling and conferencing, toll-free numbers, and customizable caller ID
- Call, text, and fax from any mobile device, using your single business number
- No onsite hardware or equipment needed
- No monthly contracts
- Free system upgrades for updated features and functions
- 24/7 award-winning customer support
RingCentral is another industry leader in VoIP technology, with over 350,000 businesses worldwide using their phone systems. They have access to a large pool of resources that enable them to develop cost-effective VoIP communication solutions for small businesses.
The good news is that they offer the essential phone system features that small to medium-sized businesses need at competitive prices starting at £9.99 per user per month, as well as a 30-day free trial.
All in all, RingCentral is a solid option for a VoIP provider that provides top quality services and a wide range of features for businesses with different needs. Their solutions are scalable depending on how many users you require per month, as well as the number of additional features.
What are the benefits of RingCentral Office VoIP for your business?
- Increased mobility to use any of your smart devices as your office phone
- Stay on top of your business and increase productivity by connecting all your cloud-based applications onto a single platform
- Easily add or repurpose any of your lines
- Save up to 60% on your current phone charges
- All-inclusive monthly pricing plan with no hidden fees
- Single communication platform to manage your entire phone system including users and apps
- 100% auditable compliance
- Low-cost cloud communications
- An intelligent system that learns and improves
- Open and seamless integration between your business apps and communication
- Mobile and Desktop-friendly apps to access your business communications even when you are out of office
- Powerful features including automated receptionist, call recording, call reporting, and secure voice
8×8 is one of the largest and most successful VoIP phone system providers in the world, offering cloud-based and Unified Communications services to a variety of businesses, from startups to multinational corporations such as McDonald’s.
Their VoIP software easily integrates with applications such as Salesforce, Google, and Netsuite, which seriously improves your workflow and collaboration efforts. For an affordable price, 8×8 offers a large selection of phone system features including unlimited calling zone, mobile/desktop apps, and single sign-on.
However, while many online reviews praise 8×8 services and offerings, a large number of customers also complain about poor customer support. They claim to have received slow and ineffective service, which can be found with large companies that deal with a high volume of customers.
What are the benefits of 8×8 VoIP for your business?
- Manage your communications with employees, customers, and suppliers, all on one platform
- Integrate your business communication and collaboration features to create a streamlined experience
- Reliable and scalable solution to accommodate your business growth
- Effective business communication features to improve the communication experience for your employees
- A truly unified cloud phone system to match the modern business’ communication needs
- Three business VoIP solutions: BT Cloud Voice, BT Cloud Phone, and BT One Phone
- Each solution is tailored to meet the needs of businesses of different sizes with unique needs
- Supports mobile/remote working by connecting smart devices to your VoIP phone system
- Inclusive maintenance
- Automatic updates to the VoIP system
- 24/7 customer support
BT (British Telecommunications) is a well-known and widely-used VoIP provider in the UK. They offer flexible and scalable communication solutions for small businesses at affordable rates that begin at £6.40 per user per month with their cheapest solution, BT Cloud Voice.
Although, you will also be required to use BT as your phone and broadband service provider. This has its pros and cons because it makes set-up and maintenance a lot simpler when you use the same provider, but it limits your freedom of choice.
BT VoIP phone systems have features that make you more accessible and connected to your employees as well as your customers. They feature hot desking, video and web conferencing, and voicemail-to-email that increases your overall business functionality.
What are the benefits of BT VoIP for your business?
- Flexible communications that allow you to access your business phone system from any of your smart devices
- Impressive call-management features for you to tailor the optimal solution for your business
- Specialized VoIP solution for small businesses
- Future-proof your business as it grows, with the ability to easily add new users and features
- Secure backup data centres that protect your communications at all times
- Lily Comms offers two award-winning VoIP phone systems: Lily Cloud and Horizon
- Save up to 60% from using ISDN or Analog phone systems with line rentals
- Only an Internet connection is needed to access your VoIP phone system, making your communications completely mobile
- Advanced telephony features such as instant messaging, hot desking, Skype for Business integration, and Unified Communications functions
- 24/7 customer support
Lily Comms is a relatively new VoIP provider in the UK that is steadily gaining traction due to their modernity and ability to understand the needs of small businesses. They currently work with over 2500 businesses across the UK and are dedicated to providing their customers with award-winning products and services.
Due to their smaller size, you can expect excellent customer service from Lily Comms, as well as unique, specialized solutions for industries such as hospitality, business services, and health care.
Their rates begin at £6.99 per user per month, which makes them one of the least expensive providers in the UK. They also have an impressive portfolio of client success stories, including businesses such as Lidl and the NHS.
What are the benefits of Lily Comms VoIP for your business?
- Improve operations through powerful business phone features that are only available through VoIP technology
- Experience personable, fast customer support
- Accessible online portal to manage your VoIP phone system
- Award-winning business communication solutions that are scalable and suitable for all business sizes
- A personal account manager to help you manage your VoIP solution
- Over 150 features available including click-2-dial, computer telephony integration (CTI), and skill-based routing
- No expensive hardware or equipment required
- Only an Internet connection needed to access the NFON VoIP phone system, to mobilise your business communication
- No long-term contracts
- Free updates to future-proof your business
- TÜV-certified voice quality and reliability
NFON is a popular VoIP phone systems provider in Europe, as well as in the UK. Based in Munich, NFON has successfully expanded across countries within the region to provide quality cloud telephony for small and large companies.
One of their top advantages is that they offer no minimum contract term, which means that they provide you with an unmatched level of flexibility that you can use according to your business needs.
NFON offers over 150 scalable features that can enhance your communication solution, making it easier to deliver better customer experiences and streamline your internal day-to-day workflow.
What are the benefits of NFON VoIP for your business?
- Completely scalable VoIP solution that grows with your business
- Avoid the hassle and costs of setting up a complicated phone system and connecting new extensions
- Quickly manage and improve your VoIP phone system online
- No longer limited by location, as you can take your business communications with you on the road
- Save up to 50% compared to traditional phone systems
- The inclusive business phone system for your office, home, and mobile working
- Advanced VoIP features such as displaying your availability, auto-rejection of anonymous calls, and forwarding calls to your mobile
- Keep your existing business phone number
- 1000 minutes of calls to landlines and mobiles within the UK, with the option to add unlimited international calls for £3.33/month
- Limited time offer: Free Polycom VVX 101 office VoIP phone (£49 value) with every new line purchased
Vonage offers simple, straightforward VoIP phone services and solutions for many types of companies, including small businesses. They have built a reputation as a trusted VoIP provider, with over 2 million users worldwide that continue to use Vonage because of their clear call quality, flexibility, and customer support.
Their prices begin at £12 per user per month, and they promise to be able to save you more compared to their competitors such as RingCentral and BT.
Vonage also provides further support in the form of How-to videos and downloadable user guides, in addition to their regular customer service.
What are the benefits of Vonage VoIP for your business?
- Save up to 30% on your current phone system costs
- Access mobile business communications from anywhere, office or home
- Scale your phone system accordingly, as you pay for what each user needs
- Award-winning service
- More control over your employee deployment and customer relationships
- One simple call package for your entire business
- No minimum, monthly contracts
- Over 150 features including faxing from your browser, integration with Salesforce/G-Suite, statistics, and voicemail-to-email
- Keep the existing number and easily add new ones
- Access your business phone number from anywhere, using your mobile or laptop
Sipgate is one of the largest VoIP providers in Europe, which means that they have the resources and capabilities to understand your business needs and tailor solutions that work for you.
They offer low monthly prices per user, as well as no installation fees for their scalable, small business-friendly solutions. You have over 150 different features available, which you can customise and choose to make the optimal communication solution for your business.
Furthermore, you can use Sipgate’s 30-day free trial to try out their cloud-based VoIP service that connects all your communication channels onto one accessible platform.
What are the benefits of Sipgate VoIP for your business?
- Access your phone management system easily through your browser
- Upfront and transparent costs
- Connect your employees, no matter where they are, to the same account and business phone number
- Seamless online setup, installation, and maintenance of your VoIP phone system
- Flexible and scalable phone system where you can easily add new features or change your contract
- Free Internet calls between employees
- No long-term contracts
- Complete CRM integration with Salesforce using a VoIP Studio plugin
- Unlimited data storage for voicemail and call recordings
- Available on all your devices – Android or iOS
VoIP Studio provides cloud-based VoIP business phone systems at affordable prices, with no long-term contracts that tie you down if you are unsatisfied with their service. Although they are a smaller and newer provider, they aim to make their mark in the telecommunications industry by providing excellent customer service and flexible solutions.
VoIP Studio currently has a 5-star rating on TrustPilot, with customers praising their simple administration, customisation potential, and reliable service. They also offer flexible pay-as-you-go pricing plans that allow you to pay for exactly what you use, while quickly adding extra features at any time.
What are the benefits of VoIP Studio for your business?
- Simple administration and deployment within 10 minutes of logging in to the system
- Lower call rates compared to traditional phone systems that don’t route calls over IP networks
- Customizable phone system to create the most suitable communication solution for your business
- Intuitive software that makes your communication experience more efficient
- No line rentals and lower call rates
- Work remotely and access your phone system from anywhere
- Free setup and business number transfer
- Advanced features including free intra-site calls, disaster recovery, hot desking, and user control panel
- CRM & Browser integration with apps such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Salesforce, ZenDesk, and Zoho
Telappliant is an award-winning VoIP provider that offers integrated cloud-based communication solutions. With over 14 years of experience, Telappliant has helped over 20,000 customers grow using a range of specialised and customizable products.
Their business phone system plans begin at only £4.99 per user/month, with a one-off £10 set up fee per extension or user. This would include call routing, virtual receptionist, voicemail-to-email, and other advanced VoIP features.
They currently have a 9.3/10 rating on Trustpilot, with customers praising cost-savings and scalable solutions offered by Telappliant. It is safe to say that Telappliant has enough industry knowledge and experience to understand and deliver solutions that satisfy your business needs for interconnectivity and collaboration.
What are the benefits of Telappliant VoIP for your business?
- Improve productivity with a more effective business phone system
- Better calling experience for customers, employees, and suppliers
- Scalable and cost-effective solution that grows with your business, without requiring any additional expensive purchases such as hardware
- Unify your business communication and collaboration into a single platform with CRM and browser integrations
Well done, you’re almost there!
Before you leave and begin picking your perfect VoIP provider, here’s a quick summary of things to keep in mind before making a big decision.
What You Need to Know
So what does it come down to?
By now you understand the benefits of VoIP phone systems, how they work, and who are the top 10 providers in the UK. You’re nearly ready to start your journey to finding the ideal VoIP provider and communication solution.
But before you go, here’s what you need to know:
- How well does the VoIP solution integrate with your other applications such as Salesforce, Google, and Dropbox?
- Is your VoIP solution flexible? Mobile? Scalable?
- Does your Internet connection and bandwidth have the capability to support your chosen VoIP solution?
- Is your VoIP solution cost-effective?
- What additional hardware will you need?
- What are the total costs involved?
- Are there long-term contracts?
- Does your provider have available customer support?
Now that you have read through this guide to VoIP providers in the UK, you can now go forth and select the best communication solution for your business. Don’t forget to use the above checklist to make sure you’ve covered all the bases.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes!