Did you know that the fuel costs associated with operating a fleet can make up to 25% of your total expenditures?
If you run a small or start-up business, there’s nothing more important than maximising profits as much as possible.
For business fleets operating predominantly in local areas, supermarket fuel cards are the simplest way to cut down on costs, while also improving efficiency.
If your drivers fuel up at Morrisons, they have the added benefit of adding loyalty points to their personal Morrisons More card.
The benefits speak for themselves:
- Save up to 5p a litre off pump prices
- Interest-free credit
- Streamline your managerial workload
- Pin security
- Single invoice/simple VAT reclaim
- 24/7 service at most filling stations nationwide
In this review, you’ll find out everything you need to know about Morrisons fuel cards, including what they are and what they can offer you.
Let’s take a deeper look at Morrison’s offerings:
Who is Morrisons?
As one of the largest supermarket chains in the UK with about 500 locations throughout, Morrisons is a popular and convenient pit stop for drivers.
While Morrisons and other supermarket chains like Tesco and Asda do not offer their own branded fuel cards. Most independent resellers work in partnership with these chains to give your drivers access to an extensive fuel network.
Supermarket fuel cards are a valuable option for many due to their straightforward pricing, flexible terms, and wholesale bulk prices.
Morrisons Cost and Fees
Transparent pricing: Without a doubt, Allstar is the UK’s biggest leader in the fuel card industry. It’s also the most widely accepted of all brands.
While that kind of network reliability and name recognition also comes with a price tag, what is noteworthy about Allstar is that they’re very clear about how much their services cost.
All you have to do is request a breakdown of their pricing tariffs, some of which include:
- Replacement card: £6 per card
- Returned direct debit admin charge: £95 per incident
- Exceed credit limit: £35 for each billing cycle
- Company name change on card: £6.00 per card
- Account migration: £75 per card
Competitive pricing: Texaco sources its fuel in bulk at reduced wholesale prices, meaning it’s able to supply that fuel to retailers, including Morrisons, and pass on those savings to consumers.
As such, Texaco boasts some of the best rates on the market, which is beneficial for fleets of all sizes.
- No hidden fees or surcharges: While a smaller player compared to Texaco and Allstar, fuelGenie prides itself on its simple and straightforward pricing scheme. Not only is it free to apply for a card, but they also assure their customers that they only need to pay for the price of the fuel they purchase. And not a penny more!
|Allstar Supermarket||Texaco Fastfuel||fuelGenie|
|Transaction fee||Up to £2.75 per transaction||None||None|
|Surcharges||Up to £0.06 per litre|
*Small surcharge for diesel at Morrisons and Tesco
*0.01 pence per litre at BP stations
|Price type||Pump price||Pump price||Pump price|
|Hard copy invoice||£9.99 per invoice||£9.99 per invoice||Free*|
|Monthly minimum||£100 per card||£300 per card||None|
|Underused account charge||£4.00 per card per month||£9.99 per card per month||None|
*Copy of invoices beyond 12 months incur a £5.00 charge per copy.
Morrisons Core Services
- Tech-savvy aids: With their signature smartphone app and Nav download, drivers can plan their routes ahead of time, saving cost on fuel and travel time.
- Widest network coverage: Allstar boasts the largest nationwide network; it’s also the only fuel card accepted at all four major supermarket chains.
- Access to alternative fuels: Allstar cardholders can now use hydrogen fuel-based vehicles at ITM Power refuelling stations.
- 24-hour online management: With the ability to order/cancel cards online, implement purchase restrictions, as well as control and monitor fuel consumption, you can be sure your fleet will function at top performance.
- Top-notch security: Bolstered with Chip & Pin technology, you can be sure you’ll be protected from fraudulent activity.
- Personalisation: You can customise each card with the driver’s name/vehicle registration, as well as your embossed company name.
- Flexibility: You aren’t obligated to a fixed contract term, and should you decide to switch to a new fuel card provider, you can migrate your accounts at zero cost.
- Admin control: While most cards offer roughly the same admin control features, fuelGenie’s is a stand out due to its range of management control abilities balanced by affordability.
- Simplicity: While fuelGenie doesn’t offer as many features as other companies, for SME businesses, fuelGenie’s straight-forward offerings and attractive pricing might be worth the trade-off.
|Allstar Supermarket||Texaco Fastfuel||fuelGenie|
|24/7 account management||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Dedicated account manager||Yes||Yes||No|
|Supermarkets||Morrisons, Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s (with emergency access to the entire network)||Morrisons and Tesco (with access to entire Texaco network, as well)||Morrisons, Tesco, Sainsbury’s|
|# of 24-hour sites||1289||1096||N/A|
|# of HGV sites||484||576||N/A|
|Fleet type||LCV & cars||All||LCV & cars|
|Fuel type||Petrol, Diesel||Petrol, Diesel||Petrol, Diesel|
|Free price notification||Yes||Yes||No|
|Invoice type||Single, VAT-approved HMRC-compliant||Single, VAT-approved, HMRC-compliant||Single, VAT-approved, HMRC-compliant|
|Interest-free credit||Up to 44 interest-free days||Up to 45 interest-free days||Up to 45 interest-free days*|
|Fuel analysis reports||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Driver/vehicle card personalisation||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Smartphone app/Satellite navigation||Yes||Yes||No|
|Carbon offsetting||Yes, price upon request||Yes, at 80 pence per card||No|
|Includes oil and car washes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
*Subject to credit status
Morrisons Contract Length & Fees
The good thing about supermarket fuel cards for SME fleets is that you aren’t typically tied down by a lengthy contract. Or a contract at all!
With fuelGenie, you can leave/switch fuel card companies whenever you wish.
There’s also no monthly minimum, which means you only pay for the fuel purchases you make.
Bonus: account migration comes at zero cost to you.
It’s generally understood that cheaper fuel cards, like those accepted exclusively at supermarkets, come with limited customer service.
This isn’t to say the customer service is bad, only that you’re more likely to experience a higher quality of service with larger/branded fuel cards like BP or Esso.
While it’s advised to take customer testimonials featured on a company’s site with a grain of salt, fuelGenie advertises some positive reviews from verified clients, most of whom praise fuelGenie for its efficiency and simplicity.
Positive FuelGenie Review
Chateauneuf on Trustpilot: I always use fuelGenie for my business fuel. It means that I ensure my staff can only purchase cheaper supermarket fuel. So I now save a fortune over previous years.
Negative FuelGenie Review
Martin Greenwood on Google: I would not use Fuel Genie, the system is too clunky, when you make a payment takes too long to register on your account.
Do you need to get hold of FuelGenie, to see whether a Morrisons card is right for you?
- Call 0345 371 2490 between the hours of 9 am to 5:30 pm Monday to Thursday and 9 am to 5 pm on Fridays
- Email email@example.com
- Fill out the contact form here
Or, find them at this address:
PO Box 6139
|Company||Customer Score||Card Flexibility||Pricing|
In conclusion, the Morrisons fuel card provided by FuelGenie allows you to benefit from things such as no hidden charges. As well as unlimited free cards, online account management and supermarket loyalty points.
Do you want to compare all of your fuel card options?
Take a look at the comparison tool at the top of the page, or check out the ExpertSure guides here.
- Customer Support
- Range of Services
- Card Flexibility
Do you operate mostly locally or do you require a network with access to international sites, as well? If your fleet is based in local areas, a supermarket fuel card might be all you require, and as one of the largest chains in the UK, Morrisons is a convenient location to fuel up.
✔ 4-star rating on Trustpilot
✔ Collect loyalty points
✔ HMRC approved invoices
✗ Not a lot of reviews online
✗ Limited choices